|The United Methodist Church of Anthony had its inception in the fall of 1878 soon after the organization of the City of Anthony. A group of citizens met at the home of J. B. Lee, the Civil Engineer, to organize a Sunday school, under the leadership of W. M. Mock. In an excerpt from St. Gray’s report as Secretary, we find these words:
“That we might be permitted to enjoy the same blessings from our Savior here as we enjoyed in our prairie homes in our former distant abodes elsewhere”.
The first services were held in a store building on Main Street. Church meetings were held in the old Court House and in a new school building where the Washington School now stands. In the fall of 1882, work was begun on a church edifice on the present site, land being donated to the Trustees by the Anthony Town Company. The building was completed at a cost of $2,500.00 and was dedicated in 1883, with Rev. J. W. Anderson as pastor.
In 1961, the need for a new educational building was discussed and plans were submitted. The Laying of the Corner Stone Service was held on August 30, 1964. On February 14, 1965, the formal opening of the new educational building, Fellowship Hall, Ruth Hoath Chapel, and the church offices was held with Rev. Fleenor presiding.